Monday, September 2, 2013

Let me state again

I am prompted to comment on the new Prime Minister of Senegal and her new government that is still being formed as we speak.  I referred to the women in Senegalese women as "women of steel" on my Face Book page this morning only to be reminded of its condescendingly-sounding tone by a bright, young Gambian activist. I promptly change gears, (smart move on my part to avoid potential humiliation from the activist) and will henceforth refer to them as "Senegalese women of power."

That said, my Face Book post was not praising the new Prime Minister for her anticipated good performance but for her public record at the United Nations and in Senegalese politics, especially in her most recent position as Justice Minister.  Her dogged pursuit and prosecution of corrupt politicians is a matter of public record.  In fact, Senegalese political commentators have questioned the suitability of the 'combative' nature of Madam Mimi Toure in her new role which is seen as more of building consensus in the various political factions within the new government. 

To suggest that praising her is premature and that we should hold on to see if Senegalese policy towards Gambia remain the same.  I did not praise her.  I acknowledged her tenacity and professionalism. Her success or failure in her new post will not be determined by how well she does with the situation in The Gambia, especially as it relates to Jammeh.  Gambia is Gambia's problem.  It will remain so unless we are annexed by Senegal in which case it becomes the problem of a new SeneGambian dispensation. Until then, Jammeh is our problem and ours alone.  Let us not look to Senegal to get rid of Jammeh for Gambians.