Safeguarding Liberty through Journalism
EDITOR IN CHIEF
Banjul, The Gambia
Safeguarding freedom of expression, liberty, and accountability through independent journalism is our core purpose at The Chronicle. Journalistic excellence and integrity in our reporting sets the standard for news in The Gambia. The Chronicle is pioneering news in The Gambia with a digital first strategy across a wide range of platforms.
● Editorial: responsible for journalism across all platforms; overseeing the commissioning, editing and production of content; setting the ethical framework for the Chronicle editorial line; attracting, developing and retaining editorial talent; robustly defend The Chronicle’s position, journalism and staff, and ensure maintenance of company values throughout editorial content and presentation.
● Strategic: setting short, medium and long terms editorial goals for The Chronicle; collaborating with sales and technology team concerning digital and financial opportunities and challenges; utilizing sophisticated understanding of new technologies impacting news and content businesses to chart the digital future of the Chronicle across multiple platforms.
● Commercial: helping to create and realise new revenue streams and business models, collaborating closely with technology and sales team; contributing to the continued growth of the viewership, ensuring an integrated approach to editorial, programming and content aspects; taking an active role in marketing the Chronicle, including working closely with external agencies, supervising campaigns and advertising with reference to tone and substance.
● Bachelor's Degree in Journalism, English, Philosophy, Social Science, or Communications.
● Masters Degree a plus.
● 5 years in a supervisory editorial capacity.
● Deep understanding of digital media strategy, audience development, and strong editing skills.
● Strong interpersonal skills and ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
● Extremely organized and thorough.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
● Resourcefulness, diligence, attention to detail, and creative problem solving skills.
● Ability to manage people and provide mentorship in a productive and nurturing work environment.
● Ability to understand and marshall the resources to translate complex socio-economic issues to a broad readership.
To apply email CV/Resume to email@example.com